[3830] SS CW N1LN Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 7 10:59:33 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

The original plan was to operate the entire 24 hours but that did not quite
happen.  I did manage to get in 20 hours, stopping about 5:00pm CST(23:00
UTC).
The first big break was 5 1/2 hours overnight.  Then another 1/2 hr around
mid-day (Houston time) for lunch.

Conditions on 15 and 20 seemed quite good, especially on Sunday.  I can't
remember when 15 was so quiet.  I was surprised by some of the weak signal QRP
ops that I could copy.  Good thing as over 12% of my Qs were with QRP
stations.
Saturday night 40 and 80 had very heavy QRN levels and static crashes that
greatly increased the required level of concentration and decreased the rates.
Sunday morning was much better on both bands.  My SO2R skills got some very
needed exercising on Sunday also.  I would run on either 15 or 20 and S&P on
the
other band.  I did this most of the day and that made it possible for me to
complete my sweep by 15:42UTC (9:42am CST) on Sunday morning, with VE9DX
coming
in as #80 on 20 meters, as well as being able to maintain a reasonable rate
throughout the day.

I was quite surprised by the quantity of stations that had VERY bad key
clicks.
I was using a 400hz filter, but that did not help.  A certain W6 station was
operating on 14.035 and I could hear his clicks up to 14.041.  I really don't
think it was my rigs - I was using (2) FT1000-MPs (both WITH the key click
mods)
as other stronger signals were just fine.  Signals with clicks like that sure
make it difficult to pull out the weak ones and to get everyone squeezed into
the available frequencies.  This does not seem like a problem we need to
continually deal with these days.  Come on guys - get the mods installed.

Thanks to all for the repeats - Sorry if I stepped on you as a result of
transmitting on the wrong rig - See you next time

Station 1:
FT1000-MP
AL-80

Station 2: