[3830] SS CW WX0B(K5GA) Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 7 18:52:17 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): K5GA
Station: WX0B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: N Tx.

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Like other comments already made, I noticed activity to be down as well, and the
static level on 40 and 80 Saturday night was nearly unbearable. I'm sure my
accuracy is going to suffer, and like N2IC said, too many were unreadable. It
was also difficult to SO2R because of this.

I finally felt loud on 20 with the new low-height 2-yagi array Jay installed
this year for me. It performed as planned and added many Qs to my score. We're
going to exchange these yagis with bigger ones for next year.

In the "excuses" department:

.....I lost one amp in the first hour. Fortunately, I had a backup amp sitting
there just in case.

.....Now for the "biggie" excuse....N2IC probably won because of this
one...Dallas was having strong winds on Saturday and after the start, the low 40
meter yagi broke free on the TIC ring and ended up pointing SW without me
knowing it !! I noticed when I first went to 40 at 2300 Z that the 8s and 9s who
normally are 20-40db over S9 were just S9. But, I didn't question it thinking
that the band was long. With the noise levels also so high, I just didn't think
further about it. Well, while walking back to the shack after my nap Sunday
morning, I looked up and nearly had a heart attack when I noticed it was SW !
That'll teach me to keep the rotator box on. I never turn it for SS, so no need
for it...??? !!!

Congrats to N2IC on the win and to N0NI and K5GO for their fine efforts....and
as always, just wait until next year !

Thanks to Jay and Sharon for the use of their home and station, and for their
concern to see to it that I'm comfortable.