[3830] SS CW K4CZ Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 8 21:59:22 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4CZ
Operator(s): K4CZ
Station: K4CZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Durham, NC
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first SS and first contest as a PVRC member.  Since my CW copy speed
is relatively slow, all QSOs were S&P.  My logging software and keyer weren't
set up to send the exchange so I had to send every exchange "manually" with my
Bencher.  Thanks to all the ops who worked me, especially those who QRSed and/or
were patient when my Bencher refused to cooperate with my fist!

Although SS is a great challenge for experienced ops, it might be a good idea to
encourage less experienced ops to participate.  Of the 123 ops I worked, the
average year licensed was 1967 and the least experienced was licensed in 1995!
I was first licensed in 2004 and I'm sure there were other new ops working the
ops who were running but obviously most new ops find SS intimidating even though
many are actively involved in FISTS and various QRP events/contests in which CW
is generally sent at 12-20wpm.  I'm sure this is an old topic (and please don't
flame me or send hate mail) but a couple suggestions would be to have an award
category for less experienced ops or even offer an extra point or two for
working the less experienced ops.

In any event, I really enjoyed SS CW and plan to continue working on my CW and
operating skills and upgrading my station and look forward to improving my
performance next year.