[3830] SS SSB K1RX Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 21 07:41:17 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K1RX
Operator(s): K1RX
Station: K1RX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I know I set the new worlds record (on 160 M)!  Spent the limited time operating
10 M by day and 160 M by night.  This was a strategic decision of the main op,
K1EP who went SOHP on the other bands.  So while he ignored these two bands, I
chose to pound away as long as the bands were open - as an experiment!  (not
quite the same as WK4Y and W4MYA who split all the bands evenly)

Received lots of comments on 10 M about being the only signal on the band (and
loud) and on 160 M, conducted a tutorial on Sweepstakes and the exchange, that
generated lots of first QSO in contest responses!  Sure it was crazy, with an
increbibly slow rate and some locals were buzzing about saying, I was going mono
10 M and was out of my mind.

On 10 M, I found propagation to be more like double hop E skip to the west coast
(slow fading), and the first hop crowd were coming in from KY, IN, IL, WI, MO.
AE7DX writes: "It was so strange to hear K1RX on 10 with an excellent signal and
no others on the band at the time!"  Thanks for that comment and I apologize for
misleading you, thinking there might actually be others on the band, as crazy as
me!

On 160, worked a new country, 5T5SN while waiting for any activity in SS.

See you next year - 73, Mark, K1RX