[3830] SS SSB K7RL Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 21 22:26:05 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Camano Island, WA

   20: 1041

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

After deciding to start on 15m at 21:00z, I started CQing, and CQing, and CQing.
 At 21:03z I was still CQing and no callers!  Not even one of those ESP signals
that show-up and tease you with just enough audio to spend the next two minutes
digging out the exchange.  My plan to start out with a bang seemed more like a
thud.  Anxiously, I moved to 10m and was able to finally start the contest with
a good run.  Whew!

The first night on 40m was a zoo.  A wall of signals with stations two and three
deep near or on the same frequency, apparently unaware of each other.  It was
every bit as bad as 20m during CQ WW, with the added spice of 40 over 9 AM
carriers -- what a mess.  Once I was able to get a good run frequency, it seemed
a broadcaster would fire up or someone would slide in .5 KHz away.

In one case, a loud W4 landed smack dab on my frequency and started calling, “CQ
CONTEST,” endlessly.  Many attempts to tell him, “frequency is in use!” were
apparently unheard.  With no place else to go on a packed band, I stayed and
tried to work around him.  The strange part is no one in my run seemed to hear
him, and no one ever answered his cq’s.  After about five tense minutes of
asking stations for numerous repeats, he finally left.

Anyone that survived the 40m SS gauntlet this year deserves a high five and a
pat on the back.  You earned it.

Compliments to all the operators that power through this long exchange -- you’re
awesome.  And congrats to some of the good scores I heard, including WP3R, K4XS,
K5TR, W6YI, and W7WA.

Happy Thanksgiving!