[3830] SS SSB K0HW SO Unlimited HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 21 23:42:27 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0HW
Operator(s): K0HW
Station: K0HW

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SD
Operating Time (hrs): 22:20

Wow, fast contest and I ran out of stations to work at the end!  I started out
on 15 with a great run for an hour and 45 min, took a break and never got back
into it until about 1 in the morning 07:00Z.  It was great for the next hour and
a half but then ran out of stations on 75.  I heard a few stations on 10 but
never tried calling any as there were pleanty on the lower frequency bands.  It
is always fun to work SS as the friendships are renewed.  I got my DVK system to
work this year with some laid back reports but only used it about half time to
send the report.  I wanted to speed things up during the runs and I was faster
than the computer.  I tried to work a station near the end that I did not have
in my log but he would not work me, said I was a dupe and gave me the time and
contact number and I had another station in my log and the call signs were 5
charactors each but the only thing the same was the first letter of their call
sign.  I have listened to the recording and the one I have in the log is the
only one I hear on the recording.  All I can say about it is be sure the station
you are working repeats YOUR call sign.  I sure hope I was not the only SD
station he had in his log!

I used the amp and the 500' loop antenna at about 40' in the air for the entire
contest and it seems to have worked out real well.  I looked back and did better
last year but I didn't take a break until 5-7 hours into the contest.

Someday I will learn to look back at what worked and didn't work the last
time.

I missed NL for a clean sweep and it was not that I didn't hear them, I just
couldn't get through the pile-up.  I gave up after a half hour of calling and
decided I would look the last 2 hours and they never appeared that I could find
in the last 2 hours.

Well it looks like we have the next 4 weeks lined up with CQWW CW, ARRL 160
CW,
ARRL 10 and the RAC Winter contest.  73  Jim,  K0HW