[3830] SS SSB W8MJ SO Unlimited HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 24 16:11:29 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MI

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This year Sweepstakes was some what of a struggle for me. I wanted to run
unlimited with the use of packet, but during the prior two weeks was
experiencing difficulty getting connected to the local packet node in my area
with the KPC-2.  Yeah I know old technology, but it work flawlessly for me last
year.  Nothing changed on this end for this year.  Anyway, K8CC came over and we
got things hooked for telnet packet, and it was working great.  So I was all set
for Sweepstakes.  At the start of the contest everything was working great, then
I noticed no packet cluster spots were coming through.  Went over in the next
room to see that I was disconnected from the telnet connection via the internet.
 Had to reboot the computer to connect again. Went back over and did a show dx
to get a some current spots, and went back to work.  After a few transmissions I
noticed no spots again, went over into the next room, and notice error
processing, and disconnect again with telnet.

At this point, I am figuring no packet, and I am running unlimited.  Anyway,
went back at it and kept working 40 on the main radio, and S&P on the 2nd radio
on 15 and 20 meters.  Had to get the mults out west.  I basically operated the
entire contest without packet, and during off times would connect back up and
check spots.  Going into the 2nd day I needed 5 remaning mults to get the sweep
NT,AK,ND,MB, and NL.  Got NL, MB, and ND within the next two hours of operating.
 That left the evassive NT, and AK for me.  I usually start looking for NT, and
AK around 1900Z on Sunday.  That seems to be the best time for me. So I quickly
ran into the next room, rebooted the computer, and connected into telnet again
and ran some spots, and found AK, and NT spotted.  I was able to get VY1MB, but
KL7AA was running stations by category's M, B, etc.  I was still running on 40
meters, while still waiting to work KL7AA on 20.  Eventually propagation faded,
and I no longer could hear him.  So, I figured no sweep this year.  About an
hour or so later I found KL7AA on 20 meters again, and this time he was the
strongest that I heard him, and was able to work him for the sweep.

Could not get a run going on 20 meters the first night like I did last year.
QRM was pretty heavy, and the band was extremely crowded.  Finally figured out
that some how I was getting RF into my telnet connection.  The phone line coming
into the shack comes down in out with all the coax lines, and I am figuring
thats were it is getting into the connection.  I am running SBC DSL connection
for internet.  Will have to take a look at that to see what I can do to correct
that.  Anyway, about quarter to 7 on Sunday night I was pretty burned out, and
took some off time to get something to eat and regroup for the final 1.5 hours.
SS is always challenging, and always seems to present some unique problems at
times.  But I have always enjoy it.  I think this is my 20th year of operating
Sweepstakes.

Congratulations to all the great scores.  Great write up from WP3R, what a come
back.  Great job by K5TR, K4XS, and KP2TM.

Looking for next year again.  As I write this we have our first snow fall.  I
was out this Thanksgiving morning plowing the driveway.  Yep, old man winter is
here.  Until the next one.

73's Ken W8MJ