[3830] SS SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 24 21:57:03 EST 2005

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 @ 15m (10-40m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)
Cushcraft R7000 @ 2m (40m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100
Kenwood TS-430S w/ AT-250
K1KP-style voice keyer (1 message)

Comments:

Well, this did not come off as planned. I had been pumped for a couple of weeks
looking forward to SS Phone and a chance to exceed my personal best, and maybe,
possibly make a run at the GA LP SS Phone record.

First hour went pretty well with 77 Qs on 20m. Then the button fell out of 20m.
Hopped to 40m, but just couldn't get anything going. A quick run through 15m S &
P went well, but by 0100z, I was down on 40m and 80m making little headway. It
got worse as 40m closed down leaving just 80m.

By 0300z, I'm already feeling tired. At 0550z, I decide to make this a part-time
effort. I had to get up early in the morning and go to Church to see my eldest
Confirmed. It was going to take a chunk out of my operating time, but I just
couldn't face five more hours slogging it out on 80m at low rates S & P. Funny,
three weeks before I had stayed up two nights operating 40m at NQ4I.

So, hit the sack, went to Church and was on and off Sunday afternoon. I shut
down at 2300z. By 0100z I went to bed. It was odd, though, as my hands and feet
were very cold even under two blankets. Makes me wonder if I was coming down
with something.

Score isn't terribly bad for part-time. Missed NL, NT, and PAC - the three
farthest sections from GA. Never heard any stations from NL or PAC. Heard VY1MB
on 20m late afternoon on Sunday with a massive pileup. I came back to his
frequency a couple of times, waiting for propagation to lengthen out my way.
After about 40 minutes, he was gone -- probably chased off by the pileup.

Kudos to KD3GC who turned in a pretty good score just about a mile and a half
away from here. Mark, you beat me fair and square. Also to N4PN, who set a new
GA LP SS Phone record. Great job, Paul.