[3830] CQWW CW N0VD SOSB(A)/40 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 27 23:18:37 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N0VD
Operator(s): N0VD
Station: N0VD

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: Colorado

   40:  277    31       93

Club: Pikes Peak DX Group

Comments:

I wasn't even sure I was going to participate in this one, but at the last
minute decided on 40M SOSB HP.  I had put up a 2 element 40 earlier this Fall
but really haven't had time to test it out.  Friday afternoon I was hooking up
feedline and running control cables to the switchbox in order to get everything
ready.  Needless to say my first Q wasn't until 55 minutes after the contest
started.

Not knowing if I would be in this contest, I didn't have any preconceived goals.
 I figured if I picked up a few new band countries that would suffice and a goal
of 250 Qs was set.  Looking at some of the other comments, I'm not sure I was
listening to the same 40m as everyone else.  Almost zero propagation to EU
Friday and Saturday night.  Those that did pop through were very weak and had so
much aurora on their signal it was difficult to copy.  Friday night was spent
working mostly Caribbean.  Saturday afternoon was a surprise when EU began
coming at 2:30pm local time!  There were not many, but those that made it were
nice copy.  However, by the time sunset rolled around, most of EU had once again
faded into the aurora.

Sunday morning provided a nice LP into EU.  However, not many seemed to be
listening LP.  I got a lot of N0?, VD? and just plain ??, then back to CQ TEST.
Needless to say, it was a difficult time.  Sunday afternoon prior to sunset was
once again alive with EU, but unfortunately somebody had turned on the QRN
machine.  What had been a quiet band so far was now full of S9 static crashes.

It was an interesting comparing the new 2 element beam to my trusty Butternut.
Most of the time the beam had significant gain over the vertical.  However,
there were times when the vertical beat the beam by several S units.  The beam
seemed to shine in the long haul department.  Highlight was working A61AR Sunday
morning LP.  He was calling CQ with no takers.  One call, in the log.  Nearly
all Qs were S&P.  I tried several times to run with no luck.  It was more
productive to spin the dial around than to call fruitlessly into the ether.

All in all I think I added a few notches to my band countries which was the main
goal.  Thanks to everyone for being there and letting me pop the piles.

This Northern latitude stuff is for the birds.  See you all as VP5D in a couple
of weeks for the 10M contest.

73
Kelly – N0VD