[3830] CQWW CW LA3S(LA3BO) SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 30 14:01:55 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: LA3S
Operator(s): LA3BO
Station: LA3S

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JO59CC

  160:  109     6       32
   80:  273     8       49
   40:  262    13       63
   20:  505    22       81
   15:  195    24       68
   10:    9     3        5
------------------------------
Total: 1353    76      298  Total Score = 838,508

Equipment:
TS940SAT
JR33 + G5RV

The G5RV is also used on 160 with this special arrangement: Only the center
conductor of the feeder coax is connected to the transceiver through an external
antenna tuner. So the antenna is actually turned into a small vertical with a
topload, and without a proper ground system. This is of course not an ideal
solution, but gives some valuable multipliers. Best contact on 160 was VY2ZM.
Not bad with 100W and this antenna!

The result was dominated by two factors: Poor 10 and 15 due to low solar
activity, and a station breakdown 3 hours before full time. On the positive
side, magnetic activity was quiet throughout the weekend, giving some valuable
openings to NA

For a little pistol, hours with S&P gives the best result. Nevertheless, I am
always surprised by how well I am heard by NA big guns which I can barely hear
myself. This is in particular true on 15, where the qrm leve is lower.

The station breakdown came just when I was about to leave 20 on the Sunday
evening, to finish up on low frequencies. So qso numbers became lower than
expected, and I missed my 2004 result by 50k.

I had a great weekend, with lots of fun. Thanks to all who answered my call, and
see you again next year!

73,

Svein, LA3BO