[3830] CaQP K6IF Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 3 15:53:10 EDT 2005

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6IF
Operator(s): K6IF
Station: K6IF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   53      58
   80:   18      88
   40:  200     233
   20:  360     733
   15:   33      24
--------------------

Great fun as always - thanks so much to the out-of-staters who make this such a
great event and to the NCCC crew who work so hard organizing it.

Best first hour ever for Q's at 158.  Best single hour ever for points ever on
40 CW, 112 Q's and 336 points.  Keep in mind that I have made < 2000 total
lifetime CW QSO's, so a rate over 100 is smoking for me :-)  As usual, my deep
appreciation for everyone who puts up with my (lack of) CW skills.

Tried 15 several times, but couldn't get anything going.  Amazing that N6O made
so many Q's there...

Blew up the 80 meter antenna matching system (again!), thus the very low
numbers.  Managed to work some guys on phone despite the damage, but CW was all
S&P with about 30 watts radiating.

Some high points:

- Went back to 20 phone at 23:44z Saturday afternoon missing just HI and ID.
Put the top SteppIR in 180 mode for a while on the off chance that HI might hear
me.  KH6FI called in at 23:48!

- Still missing ID on Sunday afternoon.  I just assumed I would work one on 80
Saturday night, but then the 80 meter antenna failed and I spent much less time
there than I had expected.  W7S was on 20 phone Sunday (right on my freq I was
told by a couple of helpful guys), but I couldn't hear him.  Went to 40 phone at
21:15z (45 minutes left in the contest!), hoping that a miracle might happen.
KG7WZ called in to give me ID at 21:28!

- 8 Q's each with W7RN and VE7SZ.  Great ears at both stations!

Congrats to W6YI (wow), K6NA, K6LA, AE6Y, W6OAT and others for big scores.

K6IF was:

160 - Inverted V @ 70'
80 - Force 12 Sigma 180S @ 88'
40 - 24' boom 2 ele. K6IF yagi at 85'