[3830] Oceania CW VK6DXI SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 11 11:16:29 EDT 2005

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: VK6DXI
Operator(s): VK6DXI
Station: VK6DXI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OF88di

  160:    5     5
   80:  121    94
   40:  400   244
   20:  235   141
   15:  377   219
Total: 1157   721  Total Score = 3,140,676

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were worse then a week ago, specially when it comes to upper bands.
I have tried to push my luck with 10m at the beginning of the contest, but it
was a very slow process. Band did not open.

Then I have pushed for 15m, until I have realized that I have missed out on
evening propagation on 20m.
I almost panicked with zero 20m QSO's at 14:00 utc. 20 m sounded completely dead
by then.
I kept 40m going, while checking for 20m. 40m was a "working band" for this
contest edition.
To my surprise, 20m opened up nicely at around 15:00 utc, and I had 3 hours of
best runs in this contest, of up to 99 QSO per hour.

Early morning hours were spent on  40m, followed up by noisy 80m, but with
steady string of strong Eu signals.

I had few checks at 160m at sunrise, but noisy 80m did not guarantee any action
there. Very few 160m QSO's were done only at sunset.

Sunday morning and day time was a big struggle. Conditions seemed fair on 15m,
but there were just very few takers.
Between 01-02 utc I have made 13 QSO. Next hour was worse with 8 QSO and next
one with 14.
>From 04:00 utc 15m picked up a bit but it was just a hard work, a single QSO
every few minutes.
It was not a surprise that I have dozed off few times, sitting next to the radio
listenning to the white noise....
If you have called me and there was no reply.... guess what, your signal could
not get through my snoring :-)

Overall it was still fun, specially that lower bands were good.
It seemed that number of vkcc'ers active in this contest was lower, then last
year, but I could be wrong.
It would be nice to build  up those numbers up.....