[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N8II Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 14 00:35:36 EDT 2005

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  104    41  Total Score = 4,264

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The test started out as a typical boring VHF contest. I worked day shift so
 by 2140Z when I started out, the activity was down to a crawl. All Saturday
 evening, I managed about 27 Q's and didn't find anything distant to the
 South past FM08. FM07 is usually pretty east to find, and I didn't hear
 AA4ZZ, NG4C or any of the big guns down south.
   Sunday at 11Z was pure frustration with weak aurora signals from as far
 as EN73; VE3FGU managed to hear me and that was it in about 15 minutes.
 Sunday at 2015Z acitivty was so poor that I didn't even boot up the
 computer. After the US Open was over I returned to find N4KG weak on CW.
 The Es opening was probably not far underway and spread from EL89 to EL29
 across the gulf coast with some MS and AL stations inland. Gradually it
 spread farther north to the Dallas metroplex (activity not very great) and
 up to EM27 and EM12-16. My multiplier increased from 13 to 39 during the
 opening! CQ'ing was marginally productive, but did bring calls from locals
 and many in PA and NJ who had their beams WSW to work the Es, and did produce
some new Es area mults. It was hard to find a clear frequency below 50.2 MHz
 during the best hour. There were many much wider than necessary sigs which
 also made for miserable copy; you know who you are. I heard EM01 on 50.180
 which would have been a new grid, but there were 3 ops using the frequency,
 so I couldn't be heard. The end result was my best Sept VHF score ever with
 very little time put in thanks to the widespread Es.