[3830] CQ WW RTTY W8UM(KG6URI) SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 26 15:23:32 EDT 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W8UM
Operator(s): KG6URI
Station: W8UM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Ann Arbor, MI

   80:   6     6               5     2
   40:  35    73              26    11
   20:  16    34               8     7
Total:  57   113       0      32    20  Total Score = 6,667

Well... I wandered into this contest by accident. It started when I wandered up
Friday night in response to what seemed to be quite a number of spots. I
realized it was the CQWW RTTY and I thought I would try to copy some QSOs with
MMTTY. Then I thought I would set up macros to match the exchanges. Heck, I
might as well give them a shot and make one or two QSOs.

Next thing, it's 5 AM, the bus has long stopped running, and I'm supposed to
show up to an antenna party at noon.

I came back Saturday night and ran a few hours. Picked up a JA on 20 in the
early evening, which may be our current setup's DX record. I doubt there's many
W8UM records left to be set.

Our Omni VI worked great. There wasn't any QRM that the 500 Hz filter and PBT
couldn't take care off. Our R-7000+ ran nicely on 20. It isn't tuned too well on
40, so I reverted down there to our dipole.

I just operated this contest casually, given I never worked RTTY before. I hope
to get W8UM back into the contest side of things, especially once we raise
enough money for a tower. It was definitely fun.

73,
Jon KG6URI and the rest of W8UM
http://www.umich.edu/~umarc/