[3830] SPDX RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 23 21:52:44 EDT 2006

                    SPDX RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   4    20     1
   40:  16    89     7
   20:  58   347    19
------------------------
Total:  78   451    23  Continents = 4  Total Score = 41,492

Terrible propagation anywhere I pointed the antennas.

20M EU opening on Saturday morning was brief and signals weak and choppy,
providing only 8 countries and only 2 SP mults.

Couldn't get anything going Stateside on any band, though I could hear stations
just fine, even on 80M. Felt like I was behind a one-way curtain.

Results on 40M are disappointing. Figured on working a lot more Ws than I did.
Only 9 Qs on a 3-element beam aimed SE there tells me either conditions were
rotten or the antenna's a dog (if it is, it's a new condition). Again, couldn't
work stations I was hearing quite well. A recently added 2-element wire yagi
aimed at EU netted a handful of mults I usually don't hear.

Did work EK6TA for AS during the 20M EU morning polar path opening, so I had 4
continents  easily enough. Would later work JA6GCE on 40M for my only other
Asian contact, so there was little margin there.

Heard CN8 and 7X0, but both were in the noise, and so were the stations working
them. Sadly, missed out on AF. No OC either, despite spending quite some time
beaming VK/ZL on 20 and 15. Expected to get 5 or 6 continents as in the past,
but settled for 4.

As a result, the score this year is on par with the past two years -- even with
1 fewer continent in the log. Considering the worsening bands, it's good to not
see a big drop in the points this year, but I hoped for more.