[3830] WPX SSB KQ2M SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 30 22:14:28 EDT 2006

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT

   20: 1520

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

WPXSSB is my favorite contest and I really look forward to it each year.
Unfortunately, this year, a series of injuries made it impossible to fix
my numerous broken antennas and station equipment.  Operating PTT with a
footswitch (I hate old-style VOX) was very painful with meniscus and cartilage
damage in my knee which was swollen larger than my thigh.  Gravity did the rest
as you can imagine.  I operated when I could for as long as I could and had
great fun as always, but not having an 80 meter antenna was too much to
overcome, as were the other wire and yagi antennas that were either broken or
rotated into the tower from a large number of fierce Nor'easters this winter.

Three things this year really made this contest more enjoyable:

1) More and more EU stations are can work the US above 7.150.  What a
difference!  Working split on 40 is just an exercise in pain!

2) Absence of significant flaring and auroral activity.  I would much rather
operate with quiet geomagnetic cndx and low aurora near the bottom of the cycle,
than to get slammed repeatedly with flares and other sun emitted junk
and constantly fight crappy cndx.

3) On Saturday afternoon (after an hour upstairs with a large bag of ice on my
knee), I installed the Inrad Roofing Filters on my 'MP's, and experienced an
ability to hear through the crud on 20 and 40 that I have never had before.

20 SSB is BRUTAL when it is the only band open and 40 SSB is just GHASTLY!
But with the roofing filters, it was almost fun at times!

Although it was very hard to not to make a serious effort in this contest for
only the 2nd time in the last 20 WPXSSB contests, (and only use one radio), I
still enjoyed it.  For me there is nothing like a contest where you can work
both stateside AND DX, and they all count for points and mults!

I wanted to make note of some truly extraordinary scores and efforts posted by
W7WA SO20, W7EJ @ CN2R (and who was my WRTC 2006 partner before injuries forced
my withdrawal), N6TJ @ ZD8Z and W2SC @ 8P*A!

It really makes me happy to see more and more of the BIG and LITTLE guns make
the WPXSSB a "regular event" each year.  Activity keeps growing around the world
as more casual participants and diehards discover the charms and the complex and
ever changing strategy of this contest, and the sheer fun it has to offer.

I hope to be back with a full-time effort and a healthy station next year.

73 and tnx for the q's!

Bob KQ2M

kq2m at earthlink.net