[3830] NAQP CW N3BB Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 6 10:23:38 EDT 2006

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Austin, TX

Total:  769   204  Total Score = 156,468

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Grandmas

Comments:

While it seemed I was pushing a heavy ball up the great hill, it never fell
down. The afternoon was so slow that my planned 30 min off time extended to 1.5
hrs and then after I got back on, I stayed only 45 mins and took the last 30
mins. So I was back on continuously from 00:17.

some quick comments......

heard w5kft calling cq on 10, thought rob was going off his rocker, then
realized the band was opening some. i was able to move w8
w9, w0 and some ve-s to 10. signals weak but there.

10 meter moves late (w9re was early, the only one)

k9om wi, k3cr pa, kt0r mn, w4oc sc- then k4ro, tn called me there, k0cf ia,
n8bjq oh, k4td, al, k4bai, ga, k0ou, mo (he came back to the run freq after a
20 to 15 move and asked me to try 10...tnx, n9fd, fl, k4fxn, ky, k8dd, mi, and
ve3ne on. so it was open to that general region between 0230 and 0445 from
here.

15 meter moves were in the same time frame and included k0io ia, k0luz mn, kt0r
mn, k4td al, k0ou mo, and ve4vv mb between 0240 and 0405.

i tried many many moves on 15 and 10 before that and nil. there is a narrow
window.

went to 40 super early (k4ro at 2021. man, it was going to be a looong day.

like rob, k5pi at w5kft said, said, it was hard to get any good rates going. the
afternoon was discouraging.

i felt the contest would be a total disaster for me at about 5 pm, but i
worked very hard on moving people and it helped. i was able to move
stations on 10-15-20 quite late in the evening. it surprised some people
and i have an email here from kt0r who was amazed we worked on 10 quite late.

the various austin powers team (deranged, like me) stations were quite
"visible." ran six bands with locals w5jaw, w5zl, and ac5aa. everyone of them
was smooth as silk-great job. it took about 2.5 mins total for each to run all
six with everyone of these fine ops.

i worked on my qsy moves and the nccc ns thingie helped me. also, k5ot at lunch
told me how he does it and it was so simple i scrapped my complicated procedures
and went to "type in the qrg" method. duh!

during the last twenty mins, i move everyone i worked on 80 to 1833.
everyone of them showed up and it helped the qso totals, plus some mults too.

worked k5na/3 mobile on 15 and 20. good to hr him. ever heard ke5c/mobile zero

family stuff will take me away sunday. here's a quickie to 3830.

i ran the contest at 35 wpm except for the last hour or two on 80/160 at 32.
always qrs'ed for callers slower by a bit.

i really like this contest. very high skill levels. where are more of the big
gun east coasters, the europo-centric dx guys. "come on down!" there is more to
the contest world than running euros. mix it up with the heartlanders.

(i'll regret this last little outburst.... hi hi)

jim n3bb