[3830] ARRL UHF VE3SMA/R Rover QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 8 21:31:59 EDT 2006

                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: VE3SMA/R
Operator(s): VE3SMA
Station: VE3SMA/R

Class: Rover QRP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs):

  222:  19     10
  432:  34     11
  903:  14      7
  1.2:   9      6
  2.3:  13      7
  3.4:   1      1
  5.7:
  10G:   5      3
  24G:   2      2
-------------------
Total:  97     47  Total Score = 29,097

Operated from 6 grids (FN04,FN13,FN14,FN03,EN93,EN92) for total multiplier of
53.  My target was to double my 9k score from last year.  I am quite satisfied,
having better than tripled it.  Conditions seemed mostly fairly good, but not
universally so.

It will take some increased activity in this area (Ontario, Western NY, Ohio),
as well as equipment improvements (power, especially !) to come close to the
Division record.  Unfortunately this contest usually falls on a holiday weekend
in Ontario, which tends to reduce activity.  It would have helped if I had been
able to keep to my schedule, too !

Notable QSOs included:

 - K1TEO from FN04 and FN14 and W3KWH from FN14 on 432 (with 5 watts) and 222
(with 2 watts !).  Both around 500 km distance.

 - VE3OIL on 432 SSB at 175 km, while I was running 5W to my mobile dipole and
he was using a beam at 6 ft under test in his back yard (on the opposite side
of his house from me).

 - KB8U on 10 GHz from EN92 (312 km).  An easy contact with good signals
compared to some of the lower bands !

73,
Steve VE3SMA