[3830] WAE CW N3RD(@N3RS) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 14 23:49:22 EDT 2006

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N3RD
Operator(s): N3RD, N3RS, N3DXX, W8FJ
Station: N3RS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PA

   80:  157    20   136
   40:  591   516   132
   20:  735  1091    92
   15:  212   135    74
   10:   67     0    48
-------------------------
Total: 1762  1762   482  Total Score = 1,698,568

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

WAE CW is one of our favorite contests, and we enjoyed this one immensely.

The solar indices suggested that we might have an opening on 10m, but were
disappointed on Saturday.  Sunday provided a much improved opening, giving our
multiplier total a real shot in the arm, especially on 10m, but also on 15m,
which was also showing better conditions.

We used the N1MM Logger software this year for the first time in WAE, and found
it very friendly for QTC sending.  MM, being based on the Access database,
provides some interesting statistical reports.  I was easily able to export the
QTCs and QSOs by hour to a spreadsheet to analyze our performance in keeping the
QTC backlog down.  The decision on whether to send QTCs or focus on making QSOs
is something unique to this contest, and we always engage in friendly debate
during the contest as to the best stategy.  This year, we decided to start
sending QTCs early in the contest, rather than wait until Saturday afternoon,
as we have done in the past.

I found that the backlog peaked at 15Z on Saturday morning at about 350 unsent
QTCs.  The average during most of the middle of the contest was between 200 and
250 backlog, so we were basically sending QTCs at the same rate that we were
making QSOs.  In the last 8 hours the QSO rate dropped but QTC rates improved,
and we easily managed to send all of our QTCs.  I think we made the right
choice, as there was never much doubt in our minds that we would be able to
work down the back log from the 200 or so that it was holding during the second
day.

The QTC is what makes the WAE contest different, and so much fun.  Plus working
the really great European CW ops.  What a blast.

Thanks, DARC, for a really fun contest.

73 - Dave N3RD