[3830] NAQP SSB K7RL Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 20 14:26:04 EDT 2006

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  870   166  Total Score = 144,420

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

I knew conditions would be tough, and I wasn’t disappointed.  Qs are only down
3 from last year, but mults are down a whopping 38, for a total of 33,672 less
points.  Every Q on 10m and 15m was a struggle.  On 15m, I’d tune past N4PN,
W5WMU, or XE1KK, and they were busy running stations I couldn’t hear.  They
were also the loudest signals on the band out of the very few heard.

20m was a roller coaster.  One hour it was 130+, the next hour it was 70.
Maybe it was conditions, or maybe it was another station underneath me I
couldn’t hear – probably both!  Aurora flutter on some of the W1, W2 and W3
signals throughout the day was a constant reminder of the ongoing disturbance.

40m was terrible until 03:00z when the curtain finally opened and stations in
the Midwest and East Coast could hear me.  Up to that point, even with a 4/4
stack, I felt like a SWL.

With so little time left on the low bands to make-up so much ground, 160m
became a low priority.  A local S9 buzzing noise didn’t help either.  The
only stations heard and worked farther East than Montana was W9RE and KT0R -
both with good signals.  BTW, congrats to W9RE on a huge score.

Thanks to all the great operators that make this contest so much fun!

73 de Mitch, K7RL