[3830] NAQP SSB W5WMU M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 21 00:15:55 EDT 2006

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W5WMU
Operator(s): W5WMU, KI5XP
Station: W5WMU

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Lafayette, La.

Total: 1787   239  Total Score = 427,093

Club: Cajun Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

This was a nice contest.  Its my first full time effort ever in a Non RTTY
contest, and the first time I ever got to operate with Pat in a Multi effort.

I have to say, its much different then a RTTY contest, but still just as fun.
I didnt run into any of the problems that I've heard of for CW/SSB contests
that we rtty operators are supposedly above.  Everyone was very nice and
courteous.  This was also my first time on 160, which seems to me to basically
be a noisy 80m.  Stations were hard to pull out of the noise, but after several
repeats I'd nab them.

We started by printing out NX5M's last year score and trying to beat that
hoping they wouldnt, but looks as though they had a spectacular run.  20 was
our workhorse band as always, and 40 did well too.  As I stated before after
the RTTY contests, the 80m antennas need work.  For RTTY/CW on 80, the low
dipole seemed to work great for NAQP, but alas its not cut for SSB so was
unusable.  We stayed with the vertical arrays and they played ok, but our
numbers could have been better.  I'll take the blame for not moving enough
people from 20 to 15 for Pat to work them.  It was probably a few hours into
the contest before Pat finally looked at me and said MOVE EM TO 15!!  Oops!  It
also seemed when he was running and I was sp'ing that I'd find a frq already in
use to call cq for the move.  Oh well, sorry if I stepped on any toes.  Best
thing about RTTY is the lack of rag chewers (except for 1 in particular).  10,
15, and 40 seemed to be pretty open.  But boy, the old farts were out in force
with the pissing and moaning (Frequency is in use 5khz up, please qsy, thank
you!) on 20, 75, and 160m.  Like Buford T. Justice said, "We aint got time for
that crap!".

Congrats to the TX guys, they well outpaced us this time.  Looking forward to
another M/2 NAQP and we'll give them a run for it.

Thanks for the Q's.

Charlie
KI5XP