[3830] OhQP K8AJS SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 27 10:58:33 EDT 2006

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OH, WAYN

   80:  150      2
   40:  123     64
   20:   84    128
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  357    194  CW Mults = 94  Ph Mults = 58  Total Score = 138,016

Club: Wayne Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Twenty and forty meters were long; I could work contacts in Europe but could
hear virtually nothing of the mobiles in Ohio unless they were almost right
next to me. I had only worked slightly more than two dozen Ohio counties until
I finally got to eighty meters in the evening.

The contest went well; the bands were relatively quiet (except for 80 meters,
which was a real noise pit because of rain and storms in the area). Rates were
good and many signals were very strong. I'll have to apologize to those I
missed on 40 and 80 because  of weak Ohio signals (on 40) and crashing high
noise level (on 80). Maybe next year.

I'll also apologize to Jeff, KU8E, who wanted to try 15 meters after we had
worked on other bands, but my station at this time just isn't capable of quick
band changes. That's another thing I need to work on, for better performance in
future contests.

The multiplier count was interesting; I missed 30 counties in Ohio on both
modes:
Ashtabula, Carroll, Clark, Columbiana, Crawford, Defiance, Fairmont, Fulton,
Hancock, Harding, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Jefferson, Knox, Lawrence,
Logan, Mahoning, Marion, Miami, Monroe, Morgan, Paulding, Preble, Ross, Scioto,
Summit, Trumbull, Union, Williams

I missed 32 counties on CW and a whopping 76 counties on SSB; goes to show that
I really need to work on moving stations. If I could work them on CW, I should
have been able to hear them on phone. Something to really work on for next
year.

Other multipliers: I had 45 states and 5 Canadian provinces. I thought that was
a great turnout for a state QSO party. Good publicity from MRRC guys helped make
this happen.

In addition, I had 9 non-multiplier European countries: Netherlands, Federal
Republic of Germany, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Greece, Romania, Azores, Italy,
and Austria. A testament to the long propagation conditions: I had Germany and
the Azores answering my CQs at 6:15 PM (broad daylight) on 40 CW, with just my
204-foot G5RV antenna. At the same time, I virtually couldn't hear Ohio on a
bet.

I spent the last five hours of the contest on nothing but 80 meters. It only
netted me 152 contacts but I was able to fill in a number of the Ohio county
multipliers that I hadn't been able to hear on the higher bands. I wound up
with two more contacts than I had last year, but 12 fewer multipliers.
Hopefully next year I can turn that around.

Thanks to all the stations who contacted me, and all of those who hung in there
when I was having troubles copying in the noise, or was pushing the wrong
buttons (that's still happening entirely too much). I hope everyone who
participated comes back next year, and tell your friends; that way the OQP can
be even bigger and better next year.

Rig: FT1000MP and ALS-600 amp 500 watts
Antennas: Quad at 65 feet, 204-foot G5RV at 45 feet
Software: WriteLog 10.58d