[3830] OhQP AF8A Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 27 11:57:46 EDT 2006

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: AF8A
Operator(s): AF8A, W8AV
Station: AF8A

Class: Mobile LP
QTH:

   80:  115      0
   40:  293     12
   20:  197     19
--------------------
Total:  605     31  CW Mults = 60  Ph Mults = 11  Total Score = 88,111

Club: Wayne Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

We thought that conditions were much better this year than in past years.  No
flares, what a change!!!  40 was a bit long, but we were still able to work
stuff within about 500 miles until the RTTY contesters started showing up at
7035 - 7055 kHz after dark.  80 was noisy but signals were strong enough on our
end to work guys.  Obviously the converse was not true with a lot of the fixed
stations trying to hear out signal on 80. And we had occasional bouts with the
Chinese(?) wood pecker on 20 from time to time which was annoying but didn't
effect our ability to pull stuff out.

Rates in several of the counties were quite good.  As we recall, the rate clock
hit 164 in Williams County and was over 100 in several others.  Biggest bust was
HARDin County where we managed just 10 QSO's in about 30 minutes of operating
time.

No matter how much we try, we just can't get ourselves to be heard on SSB so we
spent the majority of the time on CW.  Thanks to KU8E for moving us to SSB where
we could grab a few stations in addition to his.  Sorry we couldn't do WYAN on
SSB, Jeff, not enough time left to turn about and re-enter the county.

SR 162 gets the award this year for highest number of detours.  We had to
detour at least three times around bridge construction and resurfacing on this
route.  There were also a high number or detours in Western Ohio due to road
clusures to complete the last section of US 30 which will finally be four lane
from Canton to the Indiana line within a year.

Murphy:  We used a Hustler mobile antenna in addition to the HamSticks this
year.  The antenna worked well when we were stopped but was totally unusable on
20 and 15 when in motion due to a high amount of RF that was getting back into
the radio from this antenna.  Thisantenna, however, was a real killer on 40.
Something to remedy for next year's MiQP and OQP.

County Totals (Cty/CW Q's/SSB Q's)
ASHL 27 1
ALLE 22 0
CRAW 23 1
DEFI 44 2
FULT 41 2
HANC 19 0
HARD  9 1
HENR 39 5
HURO 33 4
LORA 28 3
MEDI 23 0
PAUL 41 1
PUTN 36 2
RICH 17 1
SAND 23 3
SENE 26 1
VANW 31 1
WAYN 21 0
WILL 43 3
WOOD 27 0
WYAN 32 0

73...........de Gary, AF8A and Goose, W8AV