[3830] ARRL 160 K8IR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 11:57:50 EST 2006

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K8IR
Operator(s): K8IR
Station: K8IR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI

Total:  QSOs = 536  Sections = 63  Countries = 0  Total Score = 67,536

Club: BAY AREA WIRELESS

Comments:

I got spoiled by last year's conditions. This year was not nearly as good, at
least in the evening. Things got rolling about 0400 on Friday night, and had a
great run over nearly two hours, then went to bed. Got up about 1100, and
conditions were still good until 1400.  Saturday afternoon was very tough, and
the band didn't start to really open up until 0300.

This weekend would not have been possible without the help of my new MFJ-1026
noise canceller.  I've had some bad power line noise all season, and after
being shut down on 160 and 80 last week in the CQWW, I figured I needed
something, and ordered the unit last Monday. I was extremely pleased with the
results. Using an R-8 vertical as the noise pickup, I was able to bring an S7
(in the 250Hz bandwidth) noise down below the other noise, so the power line
became a non-factor.  Lacking a receive antenna, I still can't hear well, but
at least I could hear enough to warrant running.  The only problem occured at
about 0345 Saturday in the midst of a slow but steady run. I was at the low end
of the band, with a 2.5 SWR, and suddenly the relay in the 1026 stopped pulling
in.  The manual warns against running before the tuner into a higher SWR.  I
worked a few more through the suddenly S7 again noise, and headed to bed way
earlier than I should have, given the band was sounding pretty good.  Got up
Sunday morning, and discovered the 1026 worked FB with 75 watts into the 2.5
SWR, and was fine at 100 watts into a reasonable SWR, so I was back in
business. Even worked KH6.  I kept CQing to the end, just to make sure the unit
was going to hold up, and it performed flawlessly to 1600. I equaled last year
hourly rate of 2 for the final two hours.

Thanks to all who called me.  And apologies to those who I couldn't pull out or
even hear.  And thanks for those who dug me out of their noise.

I'll be back for the Stew.

73
Jim