[3830] ARRL 160 KB7Q Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 13:05:08 EST 2006

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KB7Q
Operator(s): KB7Q
Station: KB7Q

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Montana

Total:  QSOs = 985  Sections = 76  Countries = 6  Total Score = 164,738

Last year I discover what an excellent 160 meter location the mountain cabin
really is. The terrain drops off 1,500' in the first quarter-mile in a
semi-circle from east to west.  This year I drove up prepared for a maximum
effort; more seat time, more radials, better coax, and a full 150 watts. It all
seemed to pay off. We had light winds all weekend, so the 7' balloon holding the
1/4 wave vertical stayed out of the trees (mostly) and straight up.

Conditions seemed fine with very little QSB and very quiet. I worked 700 folks
and all 50 States Friday night which made for quite a slog Saturday to find 285
others to get into the log. Playing hide and seek with the JA's while trying to
squeeze into the 1810 - 1825 Khz windows each morning was a test of the K-2's
receiver and everybody's patience - everybody seemed to space out about 300 Hz
and ask and respect QRL, but some folks are still sporting key-clicks after all
this time.

DX worked: 10 JA's, HI6A, P40AT, C6AQQ, XE2S, PJ2T.

I was amazed at the number of dupes! One gentleman worked me seven times! I
should bundle up his QSL cards and send 'em. I worked 'em all and let the log
checking software sort 'em out.

We are having fun!

Time for bed.
Best,