[3830] ARRL 160 AD6ZJ Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 14:19:49 EST 2006

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AD6ZJ
Operator(s): AD6ZJ
Station: AD6ZJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SDG

Total:  QSOs = 199  Sections = 53  Countries = 2  Total Score = 22,220

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

As this was my first serious attempt at a 160M only contest I took Friday off to
be rested and ready for the night. I woke up at sunset and proceeded to the
shack but could not find a single station to work. Decided to visit with the
XYL for awhile and await the band opening. Returning to the shack at 9:30PM I
could now copy a few stations but was unable to work them. About 15 minutes
later I realized I was on the dummy load! Switching to my 1/8 wave vertical did
the trick and had no trouble making my 100 QSO goal the first night... I had to
revise my goal for the second night. I am real pleased with how 100 Watts could
get the job done. I could work most of what I could copy but several mults had
no copy on me. Had a tough time getting to the North East only picking up ENY
and EPA and MDC in all of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd areas. I lack radials to the NE
and it was evident but nothing can be done about that.
Bottom line - I had a great time and look forward to the next one!

AD6ZJ, Loren