[3830] ARRL 10 W7WHY SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 10 18:25:26 EST 2006

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W7WHY
Operator(s): W7WHY
Station: W7WHY

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): ~9

   CW:  332    53
  SSB:    5     2
-------------------
Total:  337    55  Total Score = 73,590

Well, that was a roller coaster of a ride.  Friday night the
band was open for a while and I actually made a few Q's before
the band went completely dead.  Then when I got up Saturday
conditions seemed pretty good.  I actually had 1 hour rate
of 103 and a 10 minute rate of 180.  CQ'ing was working out
really well.  Someone spotted me and that really made things
interesting.

I had promised my son and my grandkids we would go out and
cut a Christmas tree yesterday, so I figured I could leave
for a couple of hours and come back and make a bunch more Q's.
Well, that didn't work.  When I got back from the woods, the
band was dead again.  It did open for a bit, but very spotty.
Out of the last 12 Q's I made last night, 11 were in Arizona.
It was weird looking at the spots.  Seems like the East coast
and the Southeast were still running like gangbusters.  Kept
seeing 4's spotting 2's and visa versa.  But nada here in the
Pacific northwest.  Never heard the KH6's at all.  And never
did see a KL7 spotted.

I got up Sunday morning, and WOW!  The band was really jumping.
I figured I'd get on and make a few Q's before church.  Started
CQ'ing and about the 5th Q, ZS1EL came back.  Double WOW!!
Africa on 10 again.

About that time the XYL stuck her head in the shack and said
“Honey, time for church.”  Well I figured I had 2 choices,
I could get up and go, or play sick and stay home.  But, seeing
as my son is my pastor, thought that wouldn't fly very well :-)
Of course, when I got home this afternoon, it was dead again.

Thanks for all the Q's and see you in the next one.
Tom W7WHY

Radio  TS0450SAT + SB200 ~ 300 watts
Homebrew 2 el monobander antenna.
N1MM Logger 6.11.1