[3830] ARRL 10 VK8AA(VK2CZ) SO SSB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 10 23:17:05 EST 2006

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VK8AA
Operator(s): VK2CZ
Station: VK8AA

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Darwin
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:    0     0
  SSB:  460    62
-------------------
Total:  460    62  Total Score = 57,000

Setup another of my tried performance wide spaced 8 element yagis, (68’ long
– 18.4m)  this time located in Darwin. Worked a few SE Asian stations on
backscatter, and also a few VK’s and ZL’s, as I never had the beam down
that way for very long.

Punching thru the massive QRM that 90M people with cordless phones in the 10m
band was worse than 40m, so apologies to those who could not get past it.

Had a static footprint over Greece, Italy and the Mediterranean, even the EU
QRP guy’s here were S8+. Oddly very little from Germany, it was evident the
footprint was not moving for hours. A near total water path, there was only 20m
of mainland VK soil to beam over to get to the Timor Sea / Indian Ocean.

Good success with Africa too, reminded me of past years.

Only worked 8 states in the USA and none from Canada, but those that I worked
were VERY strong, including one QRPer ! – it felt like nobody had their beam
in this direction.. maybe this localised QRM didn’t help.

28.450 to 28.489 was flattened by a new OTHR radar – peaking at 60db over
nine for about an hour.. no beam heading, either from a ‘very nearby’
defence base or from SE Asia.  I moved to below 28.400.
mult	QSO's
Japan 	111
Italy 	56
As Russia 	51