[3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 11 00:07:48 EST 2006

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, K5PI, AB5K, NA5TR, KA5BKG
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TX

   CW:  755    85
  SSB:  710    87
-------------------
Total: 1465   172  Total Score = 763,680

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This was the 10th consecutive year to do the ARRL 10 Meter contest in the
multi-op category.  Each year there are some old faces along with some new
ones.  This year was no different as K5PI stepped in after two other regular
operators were not going to make it this year.....one had a change of plans so
he never made it and the other simply never showed up.  The only regular with
me this year was N5XJ who has operated every 10m contest with me going back to
1997 (from the new location).....even more if the late 80's and early 90's are
counted.
I had a sinking feeling 7 minutes into the contest when the Alpha amp made a
loud pop and totally shut down.  We quickly replaced it with another and went
back to work.  We were able to get the original amp back into operation after
we had quit for the night.  I felt better when it powered up again and even
moreso when I keyed it up for the first time to find that it was working again.
 There is still some issue with it however as two other times it did the same
thing (one was when it was warming up the second morning).
I left to go to a playoff football game about 2100z Saturday and did not get
back until 0500z.  While gone the control box for the antenna switching system
had a toggle switch go bad so the guys were stuck using only one antenna at a
time instead of having the option to run a multiple array.  I just pulled the
15m controller out and used it for the rest of the weekend.
This was the toughest 10m contest in 10 years!  No worries, it will get better
before long.  We had several laughs but I think the one that got us the most
was when N5XJ had a LU call on ssb and used the phonetic "unit" instead of
uniform or united.