[3830] ARRL 10 SZ1A M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 11 17:28:44 EST 2006

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: SZ1A
Operator(s): SV1JMO,SV1CIB,SV1DPI
Station: SZ1A

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Agrinio

   CW:  321    45
  SSB:  371    40
-------------------
Total:  692    85  Total Score = 172,550

When Dimitris SV1CIB told me to run the 10m contest, i thought he is crazy. But
after some thought i told myself why not. So we went in a mountain close to our
city (abt 950m high)where i have a house. It was like a field day because we
hadn't a rotor to turn the antenna and we assembled all (including antenna) the
Friday! Antenna was a 4el quad but the swr was too high on cw (3:1). We borrowed
a tuner and after all we were on the air Saturday morning. What a
dissapointment. We could hear 3-4 stations and that's all. Spyros SV1JMO and me
(SV1DPI) blamed Dimitris. Why you told us to run this damned contest? We were
calling cq abt 1 hour and no replies! But after the noon the band was better.
Finally we went to sleep after 2300 local hour! The band was open for us until
then! Mainly Europe and a lot of EA8's, no JA and W band open! Yes it was nice.
Next morning the band was not better but our soul was the best. We worked many
Europeand agn and we had a good opening in afternoon. Late afternoon we worked
the first USA station. It was K4RV from SC. After that we worked some more but
all from FL. We really enjoyed the contest, even it was in the bottom of the
cycle. Many stations gave us numbers like 001 to 005. We are sure that many of
them confused our call especially on cw where they thought us like hz1a, iz1a,
uz1a, s71a and who knows what else.... We identified our selves almost in every
qso. Our call was SZ1A. SZ prefix is what the ministry gives to Greek clubs.
That's why the SZ... Tnx to all who worked us. Very soon our log will be on
LotW. Qsls also ok via buro or direct in qrz.com address. We want to thanks
also Cristopher SW1HKX, Apostolos SW1JMF , Dimitris SV1SN and Kostas SV1CQN,
who helped us a lot.
Best 73
a part of SZ1A team (SV1CIB, SV1DPI, SV1JMO)

PS. We missed the company of SV1BJW, SV1ELF and SV1JMC who were in our initial
plans... Next time guys...

equipment yaesu ft1000mp markc field
icom pw1
4element quad with Dimitris rotor