[3830] ARRL 10 W0AIH(NE9U) SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 12 01:18:04 EST 2006

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: W0AIH

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Eau Claire, WI

   CW:  743    70
  SSB:  527    62
-------------------
Total: 1270   132  Total Score = 520,608

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well, the 10 meter contest has always been one of my favorites.  You get a
little bit of sweepstakes, ARRL DX, and a VHF contest all rolled in to one.
Plus you get to sleep for 6 hours each night to boot!

For the bottom of the sun spot cycle, things could have been worse.  Seemed
like lots of Es and back scatter contacts.  Pretty good sprinkling of SA also.
But not one Europe or JA!!!  I NEVER thought I'd do a contest from W0AIH and
have that happen.  I kept waiting for the over the pole aurora OH0 that never
materialized  Closest DX to Europe were a couple EA8's.  Quite a few Africa and
Pacific called in.

Other than a 2 hour snafu Friday night with my computer that may have cost me
100 contacts, things went OK.  I "hope" I worked those guys later in the
contest, but you never know.

Funnest run was the one everyone is talking about Sunday afternoon around
2000Z.  I had been on CW doing about 40 per hour which I figured was OK for
Sunday afternoon.  All of a sudden VE5UF calls in on CW for my first SK.  I ask
him to move to SSB?  He says no.  10 minutes later he comes back and asks for me
to try SSB.  I work him on 28350 and was going to switch back to CW when my SSB
frequency just explodes!  I'm there for the next 90 minutes.  I thought of
going back to CW for better rate, but I was really short of SSB multipliers and
was missing a lot of easy ones.  I bet I picked up 15-20 new mults in that 90
minutes, so it might have paid off.

Thanks to Paul for letting me play with all his toys.  Its always fun and I
sure do appreciate it!

Scott  NE9U