[3830] ARRL 10 KD2MX SO CW QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Dec 15 11:37:10 EST 2006

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KD2MX
Operator(s): KD2MX
Station: KD2MX

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: Oakland, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): ~4

   CW:  47     17
  SSB:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  47     17  Total Score = 3,196

I hope Sunday turned out better than Saturday for everyone here in the
Northeast.  I was only around for the first half of the contest as the family
flew out early Sunday to see the Magic Rat in Florida.

The first day was not kind to the QRPer.  The band was open Friday evening into
Florida but local groundwave was tough.  There was a weak opening to the
Caribbean early Saturday but I had little success at 5w and worked only one dx.
 Late morning/midday brought a strong opening to the west but I had to go do
errands and when I came back mid-afternoon the band was dead here.  It stayed
that way until  mid-evening when there was a weak opening to south-central US
but again I had limited success with QRP.  I was tempted to abandon my qrp
status to grab some multipliers but stuck with it.

It is too bad there is virtually no activity on 10-meters except for contests.
There was one short but excellent opening here and a host of more interesting,
shorter/weaker openings during the time I was able to operate.  So even at the
sunspot lull, the band provides useful communication capability.  I guess I'll
have to get on and call CQ more often.  Now to go read about the rest of last
weekend's action...