[3830] TBDC N7WA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 31 10:30:26 EST 2006

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 92  Total Score = 620

Tested new 80/160M vertical. It's a full size 80M vertical (recycled Hytower and
40 feet of boneyard aluminum) with a small relay at the top and then some wire
going to the 100' tower. The wire portion slants a bit towards the tower but
it's mostly vertical. :>) Seems to perform as well or better than the old
inverted L and I think I can keep it up permanently rather than having to put
up the inverted L for contests. This should also allow for a permanent radial
installation rather than laying them out on the ground as needed.

Receiving antenna (300' of "sorta SE/NW beverage" - unterminated) gave me fits
as I wasn't hearing a thing. Went out to try another transformer and found I
had forgotten to attach the coax to the transformer already out there. That
helped a lot. (That's what happens when you get your antennas up the day of the
test.)

I think I worked just about everything I heard - lost a couple in the fade. I
think it was the first time I worked Hawaii in this test. Best DX was JA and
the PJ2 almost got my call right. Alas, it wasn't to be at 100 watts.

73
dink

Worked just about everything I heard (I think).