[3830] TBDC W4AN(K4BAI) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 31 11:52:43 EST 2006

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W4AN
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: W8JI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA/EM73
Operating Time (hrs): 13:58

Total:  QSOs = 681  Total Score = 3,346

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP Mk V, Amp, 1.5 KW, vertical, dipole, 4-square.  Conditions were pretty
bad with weak signals and high noise levels from an approaching cold front and
rain storms.  Many thanks to W8JI and his XYL for permitting me to guest op at
Tom's FB 160M station.  Worked a lot of DX, including most of Europe, HP3XUG,
ZP6CW, Caribbean, Hawaii, ZL3IX, SU9HP, ZC4LI and KL7J.  First European (F5IN)
was heard loud and clear at 2115 UTC.  First Eu QSO was F5VHY at 2210.  Made
mistakes about time out.  I should have started earlier and delayed the break
about an hour.  I took a break at 0745 UTC and came back on at 0847 UTC.
During that hour, the band conditions observed by K4BAI/QRP were not bad and a
lot of stations who had been running were still running and I didn't work them
later from W4AN.  When I got back on, the band appeared to die.  Many stations
were QRT (getting sleep that I needed too).  The stations who were still active
were very weak.  Stations who were strong before and after this period were weak
then.  Well, you can't know everything in advance.
Thanks for all the QSOs.  W4AN QSLs go to K4BAI direct or via the bureau.  You
can request a bureau QSL by e-mail.  W4AN is the club call of the South East
Contest Club, operated in memory of Bill Fisher, W4AN.  73, John, K4BAI.