[3830] CQ160 CW W1CTN Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 1 11:51:40 EST 2006

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): W1CTN
Station: W1CTN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CT

Total:  QSOs = 259  State/Prov = 48  Countries = 10  Total Score = 37,874

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment: FT1000MP MK 5 @ 100 WATTS

Antenna: 1/4 wave inverted L - 45 ft vertical section x 35 ~100 radials on the
ground

A part time effort due to a new noise growler at my QTH. It makes operating top
band a challenge. I used to have a relatively radio quiet location here in the
suburbs.

It was nice to hear so much activity, but folks do have to spread out a little
more without hindering the regular activities on the band.

The band is 2000 kHz wide so use whatever is not in use. I always scan the band
from top to bottom for signals. Above 1870 kHz there were first just clear holes
between the SSB and AM ops, but above 1900 kHz there were open spaces to operate
in. Lets start using that. If everyone just listens and never starts calling CQ
TEST up there, the open spaces will never get utilized.

As a very active SOLP participant in the SSB part of this contest I always have
to go high in the band for some elbow room. I even can hold a run frequency up
there and have had Europeans call me at 1970 kHz.

There is no reason we can't do the same for the CW part of this fine contest.

Just my .02 from a station that is not even a little gun on top band, more of a
pop gun.

73
Dave W1CTN
A "top of the band" Top Bander