[3830] MnQP NE9U Mobile/Portable LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 6 01:08:27 EST 2006

                    Minnesota QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U (KB9TTO DRIVER)
Station: NE9U

Class: Mobile/Portable LP
QTH:

  160:
   80:      86
   40:     703
   20:     162
-------------------------
Total:     951       0  Mults = 56  Total Score = 106,512

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Interesting reading all the comments from the mobiles.  Lots of Murphy seems to
pop up when you try and operate HF mobile...but I guess that's half the fun of
it.

Our effort this year was basically starting from scratch with a new
vehicle/antenna system.  Like I've mentioned, the usual driver, N9BCA couldn't
make it this year, so me and my son KB9TTO had to assemble a station out of my
Jeep Cherokee the Tuesday before the contest.  The Cherokee ended up having both
spark plug noise and some mysterious hash, but there was not enough time to do
anything about it except crank up the noise blanker.  One new addition that went
on our antenna system was a modification to the 40 meter antenna.  I'm not sure
if it worked really well or if 40 was just good this year, but we seemed to have
pretty good luck on 40.  20 results seemed down and 80 about the same (we should
have spent more time there however).

The drive went pretty well.  We made 29 of our planned counties and in
retrospect, probably could have made #30 (Renville), since we got to our last
county with about 20 minutes to spare.  Alex only got lost twice.  Being 16, he
had never driven in the big city before.  He missed an exit on our way to
Washington county and he got to see downtown St Paul.  I wasn't being much help
in the back seat, but he got out the map and figured a way back to the
interstate.  We lost about 10 or 15 minutes on that unplanned side-trip.  The
only other problem was on our way to Dodge/Mower.  Took a wrong turn and we got
to see lots of townroads and farm land...Lost another 10 or 15 minutes since
none of these roads were on our map.  hi  While we were sitting still in our
last county we had a curious neighbor come out and ask what we were doing.  I
don't think he understood, but he went away.

Sorry about not hearing everyone...seems my noise was stronger than the weaker
stations (or they were outside my filter).  I think it also took me some time to
find the best method of using my old ic751 with its very narrow 250 Hz filter.
I tried without the filter, but then I was being clobbered by loud adjacent
stations.  So it was lots of RIT with the 250 Hz filter.  I usually seem to like
a 500 Hz filter in contests and let my ears do half the work.

Even with the noise problem, we ended up doing better than last year.  About 100
Q's more, but a few less mults.

Ended up driving 1002 miles for the trip (230 miles to KT0R's place), 530 in the
contest and 240 to get back home.)  Even snowmobiled 50 miles on Sunday with my
son, KB9TTO!