[3830] ARRLDX CW K0TV M/2 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 19:18:29 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K1HI, K1BG, K2TE, NE1B, W1GQ, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: New Hampshire

   20: 1396   103
Total: 3605   452  Total Score = 4,885,668

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Congratulations to everyone and thanks to all who called in. This year's
conditions were challenging to say the least.

A few days before the contest we thought there wouldn't be enough operators for
a M/2 but we got a crew. One operator we thought was coming backed out at the
last minute. Luckily Rex "Iron Pants" came through with a superb effort earning
him the MVP at K0TV for the ARRL DX CW contest this year.

The conditions were challenging. The big new 40 meter beam and the 160 meter
improvements really came through though.

We had a big wind storm here the day before the contest started and many other
stations had some damage. We only had two problems with the station from wind
damage. The first was a branch falling on one of the elevated radials on the 40
meter four square. We didn't find out until after dark and repairs had to wait
for the next day. The other was the 40 meter beam got blown around a bit and the
heading indicator was wrong. Since the rotor has another problem that was
kludged six ways from Sunday and we were using presets anyway, the only change
was that the presets needed to be reset. Luckily these were the only major
problems. A minor problem was a blown circuit breaker. Luckily the only circuits
on that breaker were the coffee pot, microwave, crock pot, and the drink
refrigerator. This was caught quickly and repaired.

All the operators did GREAT work and they are all to be congratulated. Thanks to
K1BG, W1GQ, K2TE, NE1B, and most of all K1HI for a superb job. Even though we
didn't have much on 10 and 15 was down from last year, the lower bands made up
the difference. The mult count was only 3 down from last year, but the Q count
was up by almost 50 so we managed to beat last year's score with conditions that
were worse this year.

Last year's SSB MVP Luca, IK2PFL, called in on 80 and that was a surprise. I'm
sorry I didn't have a chance to chat but stations were calling.

Best 73,

Jerry, K0TV