[3830] ARRLDX CW W1MU SOSB/20 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 19:48:38 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1MU
Operator(s): W1MU
Station: W1MU

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: FN53

   20: 1399   108
Total: 1399   108  Total Score = 452,952

My first entry in a high power, unassisted category.  What I learned is that I
have a lot to learn.  There’s a different approach to operating etiquette among
the high power guys and I’m sure that I failed the test a few times throughout
the weekend.  My apologies, I’ll work on it.

High points of this contest were many.  Central Asians were very workable,
something I usually can’t do.  Was pleased to have 9N7JO answer my CQ, and lots
of activity from other countries like EX, UK, UN, 4K.  Conditions seemed good
with over-the-pole propagation throughout the night on 20M with loads of OH & SM
activity.  Another high point was the large number of QRP entrants on the DX
side – this contest seems to bring out QRP’ers and I was pleased to work a bunch
of them.

Low points were many as well.  I was amazed at the volume of dupes.  I follow
N1MM’s advice and work dupes but I must say that I was losing faith about
halfway through the test.  I still don’t know how to use long path correctly in
these events and need more work there.  I was disappointed at the showing from
Oceania (or by my inability to do better) and worked only one VK and one YB.
And there seem to be fewer JA’s these days.

My goal was to tally 1500 Q’s, 100 mults, and 500K points without staying up at
night and I came close.  Rig here was an ICOM 7800 to an ACOM 1000 running about
900W.  Antenna was 5-over-5 monobanders from M2 (20M5).  Software was N1MM.

See you all next year.