[3830] ARRLDX CW VA7ST SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 20:05:15 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

  160:    1     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  571   176  Total Score = 301,488

* FT920 @ 100w
* N1MM Logger
* 3 ele. tribander @ 50'
* 3 el. 40M wire yagi @ 50' (aimed 45 deg. North)
* 2 el. 40M delta loop beam
* 2 el. 80M delta loop beam
* 160M Inverted-L (80' high/50' horizontal)

Highlights:

* New 40M wire yagi played nicely for me
* VR2BG in final few minutes through pile (thanks Brett)
* ZS up high on 15M Sunday afternoon
* 6V6U Senegal on four bands (wow, great steady signal with 300w)
* Lousy 160M weekend

Half way through the weekend, I thought last year's totals would be hard to
reach. Then I started finding stations I didn't expect.

Year   QSOs  Mults   Score
----   ----  -----   -------
2003   235   122      86,010
2004   307   132     121,572
2005   444   167     222,444
2006   571   176     301,488

The 40M wire yagi
-----------------

Over a couple of evenings last week, in the 1.5 or so hours of daylight after
work, I tore apart a failed attempt at a 40M vertical Moxon and used the wires
to rig a new 2 element 40M inverted-V wire yagi. It's on a rope boom between two
pine trees and this weekend it allowed me to hear EU like never before. Rope is
taut at 50 feet up, pointed  about 45 degrees north (ideal for much of EU would
be 30-35 degrees).

I probably wasn't very loud at the other end, with 100W, but managed to make
contacts. Thanks to the ops over the pole for being patient so often.

If two elements are good, three must be better. So on Saturday around noon, when
20M EU was flattening out, I went into the woods and added a director. Had to
compromise on element spacing -- it's all on a 30' span of rope boom, as that's
all the space I have between the trees.

Given luck with branches, I could move the reflector another 3' back from the
driven, but it seemed to work all right Saturday night into EU with about 15'
between each of the 3 wires. Must admit, I thought signals seemed a bit sharper
(less noise?) with the 2 element version, so maybe the spacing needs tweaking.
Adjustments are simple to make. Will have to model it :)

Last year on 40M with a single delta loop, had 69Q for 38 mults. This year, 84Q
for 46 mults. Improvement seems disproportionately low given antenna gains, but
the bands aren't what they were. I'm thrilled with the new wire beam. May
replace the two delta loops into US/VE with a 3 el. inverted-V wire beam at
70'.

80M with delta loop array
-------------------------

Worked several European stations on 80M Friday night -- first time I can recall
that happening. The 75% shortened delta loops were working. Then Saturday I
turned the driven loop from due east (90 degrees) to 60 degrees, but didn't hear
any EU that night.

The other bands
---------------

Not much to say about 160M. The Inverted-L let me work KL7DX, and that's all
(thanks to the Alaskan DX Club ops for that lonely DX QSO).

20M had long, wide openings to EU both mornings. Had a super time there. Turned
the beam to the Pacific a few times, but didn't hear any ZL/VKs at the appointed
times. Finally found ZL1BYZ on 15M near the end Sunday afternoon -- he was weak
as rainwater (I was, too, I suspect) but we made it through. Was called by
needed TF3YH in the final hour... under the noise mostly, but got the job done.
Found a very loud A35RK with 15 minutes left, and a couple minutes later worked
VR2BG. Somehow, Brett heard me through the pileup.

Worked 46 JAs on each of 15M and 20M, so a saw-off there. Must mention 6V6U --
every time I ran across someone sending "300" I knew it was 6V6, and managed to
work him on 80 through 15.

Felt like SA was underrepresented. Lots of the lads in the Caribbean, but from
further south didn't hear many PY or LU. Heard a CX on 15M but couldn't break
the pile over him.

Lots of debilitating local powerline noise still. Had the B.C. RFI expert up
from Vancouver on Wednesday and Thursday, but he couldn't find the source using
the pro gear. He'll be back in late March for another search. I just have to be
patient, I guess. Now 15 months since first reported to the power utility.

Another great contest in the books. Had a blast as usual. Thanks to all for the
contacts, and to ARRL's contest crew for the event.