[3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZW SOAB(A) HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 20:35:36 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZW
Operator(s): W4ZW
Station: W4ZW

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: FL

Total:  513   225  Total Score = 342,900

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Soapbox: The party was great but where were all the participants? We CW guys
seem to be an endangered species. I always look forward to the sunrise paths
to Asia on 80/40.  The paths were there, but there were few party goers.
The JA contest stations were booming in, and the LP stations were a solid
S5-6, but there seemed to be a shortage of them compared to olden times. But
there was no shortage of J7OJ!!  They were everywhere, even on backscatter
with good signals.  I got in a few hours and had one good time when I found
3B8/F6 signing on a wonderfully clear frequency only to hear the booming M/M
contest station calling QRZ? twice and then continuing to CQ when he
couldn't get the whole call.  (He missed the 3B part).  I moved up 1 KHz and
called the 3B8 who came right back.  Good opening to Africa on Sunday
afternoon, and working 3Y0X on first call on 40M after studying his routine
for a few minutes was one of those good feelings considering the absolute
mayhem for about 15 KHz.  Even the DX stations joined that hunt, but he was
working US in contest style.  EA8 hotels must have been full considering the
number of guys operating from there.  Maybe a contester convention? My usual
part time effort around the kids' schedules and church.  About 12 hours with
a lot of time spent trying to learn the N1MM logging program.  I used TR but
ran N1MM on the laptop in an effort to learn the ropes.  I'm impressed with
N1MM's capabilities.