[3830] ARRLDX CW K1TO SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 20:50:46 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FL

Total: 1251   345  Total Score = 1,294,785

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Tried pretty hard for the first 15 hours or so, then gave in to the painful
constant line noise (from the direction of Europe, of course) on all bands which
prevented me from hearing many callers (sorry if you called and I was unable to
pull you through).  I chose to S&P most of the time from then, mostly in short
bursts.  Slept through the entire 20/15M morning opening to Europe on Sunday
with no regrets.

10M was interesting.  8P9PA and TO9A were a whisper one minute, then S9+50 the
next minute.

This might be my highest 160M total ever as a SO, even with other HP efforts.
Highlight was raising 4X4WN.

80M is the band that Florida has the greatest disadvantage on against the
northeast US.  Those 210 QSOs took a lot of work and might also be my high-water
mark for any effort from FL.  Frequently, I'd tune past a W1/2/3 working a
station that was completely inaudible to me.  I'm sure the line noise is a
significant part of that.  I had to use the short Beverage to the N which heard
Europe better than the longer Beverage to the NE (Europe) that picks up too much
of the line noise.

Still fun to work so many familiar calls.  Neat to sweep J7OJ, 6V6U and many
others.  Some interesting first-time guest ops this time, so the results should
be exciting.

73, Dan