[3830] ARRLDX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 07:40:39 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DF2PY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 2500   236  Total Score = 1,768,584

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

I usually appreciate a straight 48 hour approach to experience my limits when it
comes to contesting. But after suffering badly from a cold the previous week and
spending way too much time chasing the boys from 3Y it was sure nice to focus on
one particular geographical area. This provided an option for several breaks,
which included the (local) mornings after 40 had mostly closed and 20 wasn’t
really open yet as well as Sunday evening. What a luxury to operate a contest
with regular naps, showers and without hallucinating, hi!

With 10 meters being non existent (didn’t hear a single signal all weekend when
I checked, not even locals, let alone anyone from across the big pond) I thought
I would never be able to beat my last year’s score unless I would be running as
much as possible, thus simply compensating the missing mults with pure volume. I
believe this strategy paid off - actually I ended up improving the score by 10
%. 20 turned out to be in excellent shape with a super run on Sunday night. In
fact when I closed down the station after QSO # 2500 there were still many
signals copyable. 15 sounded sick but turned out to be quite well for the cycle
being where it is. Missed most states from the 7th call area here, but was
surprised to work several W6’s. 40 and 80 were superb, even better than I had
hoped for. Spent the sunrise peak on 80 on Saturday and was rewarded with some
nice mults from way out west. I think I worked at least 4 stations from CA on 80
which was nice. Didn’t think I was doing well on 160 until Sunday night when I
stayed there right through our sunrise. Working into Washington state on 160
during a contest is quite an experience!

All in all it seemed to me that participation was excellent with some very, very
competent operators at the other end. No technical problems except a short keyer
hiccup on Sunday which was resolved within minutes. Win-test worked flawlessly
again – what a comfortable tool! I believe I will stick to this software for a
long time to come.

Tnx all for a great weekend. As always, special thanks go to my family for
letting me go yet again and to Wolf & family for being super hosts. All this fun
would not be possible without you guys!!