[3830] ARRLDX CW ZK1NOU M/S LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 15:01:27 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ZK1NOU
Operator(s): N7OU, W7YAQ
Station: ZK1NOU

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Rarotonga, S Cooks

  160:    1     1
Total: 2422   233  Total Score = 1,692,978

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

A great experience operating from the South Pacific.  We thought there would be
long periods with no propagation to NA.  Not the case except for a couple of
hours after local sunrise.  15 meters was the money band.  20 was disappointing
as most pointed toward EU and could never get the rates that we had on 15.  10
was spotty but we checked every half hour or so.

Used an R5 and HF6V.  Built a 160 inverted L but it never played at all.  Then
the fibreglas pole to which it was attached shattered in 2 places.

The Kii Kii Motel is a great DX location and we'll spend the rest of the week
running pileups on CW and RTTY.

73,
Bob W7YAQ
Bill N7OU