[3830] ARRLDX CW FG/N0YY SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 23:12:52 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: FG/N0YY
Operator(s): FG/N0YY
Station: FG/N0YY

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Guadeloupe

   15: 1073    58
Total: 3570   308  Total Score = 3,298,680

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

What an absolutely amazing experience!  I wanted to be on the other end of the
pileup for years and took the opportunity this year and went to Georges, FG5BG’s
DX Shack.  What can I say other than WOW!  A real test of man and machine.
Georges’ antennas and location played a big role in how this comes out.  I did
take a secret weapon with me which was the K9AY Crossed Loops for 160/80
receive.  They sure took the fatigue out of the low band noise.

I was skeptical about doing anything on 160M with low power, but was pleasantly
surprised.  The antennas play very well.

Bands were quiet until Sunday morning.  Then in the true fashion that I have
learned to respect in the past few years 15 M had that familiar “frying eggs”
sound to it and the band seemed very strange compared to Saturday.

My goals were all but shattered with the lack of any QSOs on 10M on Saturday.  I
had several of the big east contest stations try to move me to 10M several times
on Sunday but there was nothing to be heard.  I took a few opportunities to
listen for the Beacon stations but nothing…

Then K3LR asked about 1800z and low and behold the band was open – strange, but
open!  It seemed that there was a Midwest pipeline and I think about 50% of the
QSOs were with the Midwest.  But it sure made the difference in the end.  I
finally worked KC1XX but it was a struggle!  The early 3830 reports seem to bear
this out.

I had anticipated that 20M would be the money band at this point in the
sunspots, but 15M blew it away.

Thanks to everyone for making this an event to remember for me.  The pileups on
20M and 15M on Saturday and the rates were amazing for me.  And Sunday on 10M
brought a smile to my face.

My only concern was the number of Dupes on Sunday.  Way more than I would have
thought.