[3830] NA Sprint CW J79WI(WI9WI) LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 21 17:52:58 EST 2006

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: J79WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: J79WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: J7

---------------------

Team: Dead Lizards Can't Send CW

Comments:

We went to J7 for ARRL DX CW, so I thought I'd like to operate the sprint if we
got there in time to set up. We got to the QTH about 3 hours before the start of
the contest, and with the help of K5KG, KK9K, K1XX, and W4IX got the antenna up,
the rig running and the computer set up with 30 minutes to spare. It was a slow
start on 20, but the Qs started to come. Forty was the best band. I was pretty
fried when we got there, with less than 5 hours of sleep on each of the previous
three nights, plus a nagging runny nose, so the mental thing wasn't there. It
was a bit unnerving to use an unfamiliar radio, a PRO II, and an unfamiliar
logging program, Writelog in this. At home I use my 765 and NA in Sprint. Hence
there was a lot of bumbling and I apologize to all. Also RF got into the
computer on 80 which caused loss of radio control and forced me to hand key all
the QSOs, so, hence, even more bumbling. Signals were in general pretty good. I
called a lot of people I never worked on any band. It was obvious the eastern
guys beam west, the western guys east and the southern and northern guys
variations of east and west. I could easily tell when someone switched to a beam
pointed at the Caribbean, or turned their beam there, even on 40.

Thanks for all the Qs, it was a bit of a struggle, but in the end it was fun,
and I'll do it again if I get a chance.

Rig: IC-756 PRO II courtesy of K5KG
Writelog on my own laptop
Antenna: 135 ft dipole which ordinarily lives in a tree in my backyard up about
35 ft in the center and 10 ft at the ends.

Thanks to the guys mentioned above for halping to make this happen.

73 Jim
J79WI, WI9WI