[3830] ARRLDX CW TI5N(@TI5KD) M/2 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 21 21:21:01 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): N4GG, N5OT, W9RE, NT6X
Station: TI5KD

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Costa Rica

   40: 1500    59
   20: 1882    59
   15: 1666    59
Total: 7355   351  Total Score = 7,744,815

Just got back...we had a great time at TI5KN's well-known contest station in San
Jose, Costa Rica.  Keko has lots and lots of antennas packed onto a city lot -
it's quite a site and there are lots of choices/combinations/options.  We could
pretty much do what needed to be done at Keko's place.

Big cities in small countries are infamous for 60 Hz AC QRN, and we hoped to
slay that alligator.  We think we got him, but we're still not sure what we did
:) Mother Nature was very good to us on 80 and 160 meters and she allowed us to
hear okay during the contest.  When the buzz would start back up we would move
to another band, and when it went away we'd move back.  It worked out.

10M was real shaky the first day - we had a short opening to the western USA but
logged less than 50 QSOs in only 8 multipliers.  The second day was another
story - we were hurting so much on 10, we watched for ANY opportunity.  Sure
enough, we got the chance and managed to minimize our losses over several really
good hours very late in the contest.

The in-between bands, 80-15, played on the money after we solved quite a number
of inter-station interference problems, which we anticipated for the most part,
but those things are always a challenge to solve on the fly (thanks Hal and
Mike)!

One great moment stands out in all of our minds - Sunday morning at 3:30am, all
four of us were in the shack, rested, awake, and focused - two operating and two
chomping at the bit - unprecedented in our combined years of playing our
favorite game - usually scaring somebody up at that hour is an adventure.  Keko
wandered in at about 4am and couldn't believe his eyes.

Another aspect of booking TI5N for contesting that deserves more press than it
gets: Keko and his lovely wife Sophia treat their visitors like royalty!  Great
company and great food go really well with DX contesting - we're all fat and
happy, and would recommend it to anyone.  Thanks, Keko and Sophie!

Finally, thanks to all competitors - for the piles of contacts and multipliers -
and for delivering the goods on 10 meters on Sunday afternoon - what a rush.  We
had a great time!

73,

Mark, N5OT on behalf of:
Hal, N4GG