[3830] CQ160 SSB VO1HE(@VO1MP) Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 27 19:13:51 EST 2006

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1MP

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: The Rock
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 132  State/Prov = 29  Countries = 19  Total Score = 38,880

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Knowing that my station just wasn't up to the task and wanting to put in a good
effort in this contest to build up my countries and states totals on this band,
I asked Gus VO1MP if he would allow me to operate from his station. He agreed
and we were set. Then Murphy kicked in.

I had laryngitis for a couple days before the contest. I was hoping my voice
would come around but, by contest time, it was pretty raw.

It was eerily calm when I got to Gus's place around 2315 and got set up. We set
up the logging program, N1MM, and got the amp warmed up. This would be my first
time as HP and I was looking forward to doing well. Gus has an incredible QTH
for operating even though he is in a fairly heavily developed area.

I got ready to go around 10 minutes to contest time. My throat was not 100% but
not too bad. At 0000 I started calling CQ. Tried to log the first contact and
ran into the N1MM problem that a number of people seemed to have. It wouldn't
accept the exchange. After 45 minutes of mucking with it, we decided to go with
another logging program and I continued on with that. The only thing was, the
band was FULL of stations, more than I think I have ever heard on any band.
There were so many stations calling that I was having great difficulty picking
out a full callsign. The noise continued from 1803 to 1940 without a break. I
couldn't get a run freq or pick out calls to S&P. Things were going slow. The
calls I could pick out were obviously having trouble hearing me. Being here in
NL, we're in the middle of everyone. EU and US stations were equally strong but
their local QRM blocked me from getting in well. This caused me to have to
repeat my call and report on far too many occasions which quickly took its toll
on my voice. By around 0600 I had to call it a night as it was difficult to even
talk at that point.

Anyway, on top of that, the forecast was for a blizzard to start at around
midnight local time. The weather hasn't been very accurate for a while around
here so I was prepared but hoping that it would pass us by.

It didn't.

Around 12:30 local time the wind picked up. There was no snow but a lot of heavy
static crashes made life difficult. By the time I headed home, the snow was
starting to hit and the roads were quite slippery. I got home with the hopes of
getting back at some point the next evening.

Upon waking, it was impossible to see the houses across the street. The wind was
howling and the snow was falling sideways. Our street never got plowed until
late that evening. Gus called to see if I was going to attempt to make the trip
but I had to decline. His driveway hadn't been plowed either and it was
impossible to get out of my driveway. The cable TV had been off for most of the
day and now the power was intermittant. I was left with only one thing to do.
See if I could hear anything from my own station if the power would hold.

I heard a lot of guys I had already worked the night before and managed to work
4 new stations. My noise is constantly s9 or higher so I decided to pack it in
for the evening. The next evening I made 2 more contacts before the contest
ended. Not sure if that's legal in the contest but I doubt my score is going to
be a contender, although I think I was the only VO on in it.

Anyway, the best laid plans...

Much thanks to VO1MP for his hospitality and use of the station. I wish I had
been feeling well enough to make a good stab at it. Maybe next year. And maybe
the wx will cooperate a little bit better. I'm new to the band. That's my
excuse:)

The best thing about the weekend was it gave Gus an excuse to clean up his
shack.

Thanks for the Qs and CU next contest.

73 -- Paul VO1HE