[3830] RTTY Roundup AD1C Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 9 11:22:47 EST 2006

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MA

Total:  712  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 49  Total Score = 72,624

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment: ICOM 756 Pro
Software:  Writelog 10.57H, microKEYER
Antennas:  G5RV at 35' (10M), Hy-Gain AV-640

I last did this contest seriously in 2001 but couldn't match that score this
time.  What a difference a few sunspots make.  That year over half my QSOs were
on 10/15 meters, this year over half my QSOs were on 80/40 meters!

I missed DE, ND and WV (!) (and D.C.).  NV and ME were my last two states. Also
missed PEI, LAB, MB (!), NWT, YT and NU.  SK and NF were my last two provinces.
Heard several countries that I could not catch, including ZS and VQ9.  Only Asia
was ZC4LI.

I made two PSK QSOs on Saturday, what a waste of time!  These were the only two
guys I heard in the contest.  I checked periodically on Sunday but never heard
any others.

I could not get any runs going on 20 or 15 meters Sunday a.m. - very
frustrating!  Despite the Europeans on 15 meters who usually came back to me on
the first or second call.  Heard VQ9LA working guys right as the band opened (8
a.m. local time), but he could not hear me through the Europeans.  I worked
F5JRU on 40 meters on Sunday at 1822z, or 1:22 p.m. local time.  I heard UR5MF
even earlier than that, I don't think the band ever closed between us.  Heard
some strong signals from CA and CO on 10 meters Sunday afternoon but could not
drum up any activity.  Don AA5AU and I tried but the band was dead to him.  I
wasted too much time on 15 meters, then went to 20 meters too late to look for
Europeans.

Both AL1G and HI3TEJ initially refused to work me when they thought we had
duped.  We hadn't, the first QSO was no good.  Why don't more people work the
dupes and just move on?  It's faster for everyone concerned, and you'll actually
make points if the first QSO isn't in both logs!

I missed 4 hours Saturday night to watch the New England Patriots dismantle the
Jacksonville Jaguars.

My Maalox moment came with one minute left in the contest.  I had just finished
running on 80 meters and was sweeping down the band when I heard someone giving
WV to N8LRG, but I never heard the call and couldn't attract his attention.
Right after the WV QSO, a VY2 called him!  It must be karma.  Maybe his name is
Earl.

73 - Jim AD1C