[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K3TUF Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 24 08:42:09 EST 2006

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K3TUF
Operator(s): K3TUF
Station: K3TUF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN10

  1.2:   39    12
  2.3:   23     9
  3.4:   14     7
  5.7:   10     3
  10G:   11     4
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  753   166  Total Score = 265,102

Club: Mt Ariy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

This was my fourth Jan VHF SS and the score keeps getting better and I keep
learning lessons.  I had a great time in spite of the flat conditions.  The only
problem was an issue on 2m that caused the preamp to blow three times causing
some unexpected bench time replacing the GaAsFET's until I found a way to keep
it from happening thanks to a tech support call to W2PED.
I used limited WSJT skeds, only 3, and missed some key grids nearby: FN01 and
FM07.  That is painful but what can you do?
Unlike times past, the equipment (save the preamp) was working as well at the
end as it was when I began.  That's a tribute to solid engineering council from
N3NGE, KB3XG, W2PED and other packrat mentors.
Now it's on to the next station improvement and jotting down the lessons learned
to hopefully improve the score next time.
73,
Phil