[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KD4MCA Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jan 26 11:57:29 EST 2006

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: KD4MCA
Operator(s): KD4MCA
Station: KD4MCA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

    2:   38     9
  222:    2     1
  432:   14     3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  108    24  Total Score = 2,976

Club: Ashe County ARC

Comments:

The January VHF Sweepstakes turned out to be more a battle of me vs Murphy than
anything else.  The weekend before the contest propagation on 6 was awesome for
January and locally we had 3 hams make their first DX contacts, including my XYL
KD4UKT.  But contest weekend nothing.  The meteor scatter was annoying at best,
not long enough to copy a complete call, much less make a contact.  Murphy 1
KD4MCA 0.

To make matters worse early on in the contest my rotor broke.  With my beams
pointed south I could not work anything north and barely anthing to the east and
west.  I would give Murphy 2 points for this but at least the beams were pointed
south.  Had they been pointed due north into the mountain behind my house I
would have been in trouble.  Murphy 2, KD4MCA 0.

But then I started making a comeback.  From the NW corner of NC I worked the
coast of SC, off the side of the beam, not just once but 3 times.  Also worked
EM93 for the first time on 6 and 2.  Pretty cool all things considered.  Murphy
2 KD4MCA 1.

Several of our local hams also got involved in the contest, some just to help me
out.  We had one of our newest club members, KI4LPR, make 17 contacts including
his first into SC and send in a log.  Excitement like that can go a long way
toward keeping folks interested in the hobby.  Murphy 2 KD4MCA 2.

The friendliness and helpfulness of the other ops was great.  One one occasion
W4JJF, knowing I couldn't took the time from his efforts to help another ham get
his beam pointed at me.  That kind of cooperation among contestors goes a long
way toward building lasting relationships in this great hobby.

Final score:  KD4MCA 3 Murphy 2 in overtime.

Peace and 73
Adam KD4MCA